Saturday, October 31, 2009

Week 6 Reflections

This week somehow seemed more relaxed than the last two. Maybe it wasn't that this week was relaxed, but that the past two were so busy!
In past weeks, I've tried to get the readings completed as early as possible (preferably by Monday evening), so I could try to get posts in on the discussion board early in the week. With some longer readings this week, I just knew that wasn't going to work so well. I instead ended up just taking my time. This really helped with my understanding of the material. Of course, this may have also had something to do with the quality and organization of the readings.
Another thing that I'm sure helped me out was printing out the readings. In earlier weeks, I was only printing out the shorter readings (not wanting to use all of the ink or paper for the longer ones). This week I decided I wasn't going to sit staring at the computer screen long enough to read everything. I was staring at a computer screen all day at work, and I didn't want to spend all evening that way, too! I know from past experience (and from more confirmation this week), that I have a better time digesting what I read when I'm looking at it on paper.
Anyway, in terms of specifics for this week, I did have some trouble with the precourse survey. I was finding it difficult to come up with relevant questions to ask to help with preparing for a math course. That is partly why I chose to create the survey for my PreCalculus class instead of PreAlgebra. For PreCalculus, I could come up with more thoughtful questions (and would probably get more thoughtful responses from the students). Despite the trouble with coming up with what to ask, the Survey Monkey website was pretty easy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment