Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nine Principles of Good Practice for Assessing Student Learning

Much of what is included in the Nine Principles applies to me. I would have to say that there are two of the principles that stood out to me more than the others.
The first was that "assessment of student learning begins with educational values." One of the main ideas for this principle was that assessment should be used to improve student learning. I already do use this idea in my teaching. In my school's curriculum, we have short daily quizzes. These quizzes do not have much effect on student grades, but are a great tool for watching what topics are problem areas for students. If it is a topic that is a problem across the board, I can set up extra lessons to help the whole class. If it is a problem area for individual students, I can meet with that student for some extra tutoring to help them understand the lesson.
The other principle that stood out to me was that "assessment fosters wider improvement when representatives from across the educational community are involved." This idea is one of the cornerstones of the school where I work. Along with teachers working with the students, we work with the parents, or "Learning Coaches." Between the teachers, administators, and guidance counselors, we have a very tight community where we work together for the benefit of our students.
As I mentioned, many ideas in the Nine Principles apply to me, but these two were the ones that really stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment